HealthWorks of Illinois
Providing Healthcare Services for Foster Children
What is HealthWorks?
- HealthWorks of Illinois is a collaborative effort between:
To provide comprehensive services to all children in the custody of DCFS.
HealthWorks of Illinois in Kankakee County:
- Assures linkage for foster children to a primary care physician
- Provides medical case management to children less than 6 years of age, and pregnant foster children
- Maintains health information for foster children living in Kankakee County
- Is a medical resource for foster parents
What foster parents need to know:
- All foster children have Illinois All Kids insurance (Medicaid) to cover healthcare costs. If you did not receive a medical card for your foster child, call our HealthWorks nurse.
- An initial health screening must be done within 24 hours when a foster child is taken into DCFS custody, and should be completed before the child is placed with the foster parent.
- A comprehensive health exam must be done within 21 days of DCFS custody.
- A Health Passport is provided to the foster parent after the comprehensive health exam, and is a summarized medical record for the foster child in your care.
- Foster parents need to keep a copy of all medical records for each foster child. Assures linkage for foster children to a primary care physician
- Well child exams are required at 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, and 24 months of age and every year for a child over 2 years of age.
- Dental exams are required at 2 years of age then every 6 months.
- Vision and hearing screenings are required at 3 years of age then annually.
- Immunizations are very important and must be kept up-to-date.
Please contact the HealthWorks of Illinois program at the Kankakee County Health Department for any questions.
HealthWorks of Kankakee County
Phone: (815) 802-9320
Fax: (815) 802-9321