Quick Facts on Recycling
- Recycling aluminum cans can earn you money.
- Recycling saves resources.
- Recycling saves energy.
- Recycling reduces litter.
- Recycling takes little time.
- You can make 20 recycled aluminum cans with the energy it takes to make one new aluminum can.
- There are approximately 23 cans to each pound of aluminum.
- It takes three tons of recycled newspaper to make one ton of daily newspaper.
- Paper made from waste papers instead of virgin wood requires 61% less water and results in 70% fewer air pollutants.
- Printer ink cartridges can be recycled.
- Sixty-seven one-foot bundles of newspaper equal on ton of newspaper.
- Eleven six-foot stacks of newspaper equal one ton of newspaper.
- While nature can recycle a steel can in one hundred years; and an aluminum can in five hundred years, it takes a glass bottle one million years to decompose.
For additional information, contact the Solid Waste Management Section at (217) 785-8604.