Quick Guide on How to Prepare Recyclables
For more information see DCCA’s publication “Recycling 101”. Many recyclers vary on which items are collected so check with yoru local recycling center or community’s recycling coordinator.
- Jars and Bottles
- Rinse clean
- Remove any metal caps or rings
- Do not break or smash
- Separate by color
- Stack neatly in bundles or place in paper bags.
- Mixed or Scrap Paper
- Box, bag or bundle.
- Wax or plastic-coated paper boxes cannot be recycled.
- Cardboard and Paperboard
- Break down flat in bundles.
- Gray and brown inside may be recycled.
- White inside may not be recycled.
- Hi-grade or Ledger
- Box or bundle paper and envelopes.
- All kinds of paper may be placed in the same container, even junk mail.
- Rinse and flatten cans.
- Aluminum foil, TV trays, and pie plates can be recycled.
- Steel Cans
- Rinse, remove labels and flatten ends.
- Laundry Detergent, Milk, and Soda Bottles
- Rinse, remove any metal caps and flatten.
Used Motor Oil
Drain carefully and seal container. Make arrangements for proper recycling or disposal before changing your oil.