Lead Screening

Click here for a CDC (Center for Disease Control) listing of recalled toys.

What if My Child Tests Positive for Lead Poisoning?

Lead is found in many items that children can contact easily. If your child tests positive for lead poisoning, you can do something immediately to lower the amount of lead available to your child no matter what level of blood lead he/she has.

13 steps to decrease your child’s contact with lead:

  1. Wash child’s hands and face often, especially when snacking, eating meals or at bedtime.
  2. Make sure child’s bed clothes, sheets and pillowcases are clean.
  3. Clean child’s toys when becoming dusty or dirty.
  4. Prevent child from chewing or sucking on items or toys you are not sure are “non-toxic.”
  5. Place newspapers and magazines up from your child.
  6. Keep child away from painted windowsills, doors, railings and furniture.
  7. Keep your child away from any painted surfaces that are chipping or peeling.
  8. Seal off remodeling areas, and keep children and pets away from these areas.
  9. Wipe down painted surfaces with high phosphate detergents and wet mop floors weekly.
  10. Prevent child from playing in dirt areas next to painted buildings.
  11. Store food only in plastic or glass containers made for food storage.
  12. Flush water faucets well before use, and only use cold water for cooking or drinking.
  13. Have family members shower and change before coming home if they have been working with any lead surface or item containing lead. Keep these clothes separate from the rest of the wash and away from children.

To help your child resist the toxic effects of lead:

  • Make sure your child has a balanced diet with plenty of calcium, protein and iron.
  • Keep to a mnimum of high fat food, junk food, pop and candy.
  • Have your child retested as suggested by the health department lead program or your physician.
  • Offer your child healthy snacks between meals; an empty stomach absorbs lead faster than one that’s not.

Do you have any of these around your home or where your child visits?

Check If Accessible to Small Children…

  • Artists’ paints, enamels, glazes, or decals.
  • Chipped paint or plaster – even on old surfaces that have been repainted.
  • Matches, cigaettes, cigars, and their ashes.
  • Painted furniture, broom handles, cribs, and kitchen utensils.
  • Toys – old, metal, or painted.
  • Painted inside surfaces such as doors, windows, woodwork, walls, floors, and stairs.
  • Painted outside surfaces on older homes, porches, and out buildings.
  • Batteries and fumes from burning them.
  • Fumes from auto or industrial emissions.
  • Soft metal objects — jewelry, sinkers, game parts.
  • Brass alloys, pewterware, leaded glass, fake pearl jewelry.
  • Bullets, shot, firing range smoke.
  • Some folk medicines and home remedies, especially from Mexico, India and S.E. Asia.
  • Cans and food stored in open cans with lead solder.
  • Cans of paint or shellac.
  • Printed material – paper (comics, crayon wrappers, newspaper, magazines).
  • Fungicides, Pesticides, Insecticides
  • Lead water pipes, fixtures, or storage tanks.
  • Work clothes and shoes of people who work in lead related jobs or use lead paint.
  • Fumes from burning painted wood and printed material.
  • Work clothes, shoes, rags, dust, and tools of people who are doing renovation in older homes.
  • Dust and fumes from using heatguns, sanders, and open flames to remove leaded paint.
  • Some cosmetics, hair perparations, and talc – especially foreign made.
  • Snow and icicles – contaminated rom lead dust on house or in yard.
  • Soil, dirt, sand – especially near roads and older painted buildings.
  • Food grown in contaminated soils or in contact with lead residue in the air or on someone’s hands.
  • Housedust – especially in deteriorating older homes or during renovation.

How many boxes did you check?

If you have even 1 checked, your child is in DANGER of becoming LEAD POISONED.

These are ALL possible sources of LEAD!

Small children (and pregnant women) can absorb 50% of the LEAD that enters their bodies. Children may eat, chew on, or touch things and put their hands in their mouths. They may breathe air contaminated with LEAD fumes or dust. A child may be poisoned without showing any symptoms, or may have one or more of the following symptoms…

  • Irritability
  • Short Attention Span
  • Tiredness
  • Weakness
  • Headaches
  • Clumsiness
  • Sleep Disturbances
  • Learning Difficulties
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Constipation
  • Hyperactivity
  • Behavioral Problems
  • Loss of Appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Paleness
  • Aggressiveness
  • Weight Loss
  • Joint Pain

If your child shows any of the above symptoms –

CALL US AT: (815) 802-9344

Protect Your Child and Your Family!

Keep All Lead Sources Away From Small Children And Get Your Child (6 months-6 years) Tested NOW!

Call the Kankakee County Health Department for an appointment to have your child screened.

It involves just a simple finger prick.

For Further Information and Literature

Contact the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program

Kankakee County Health Department
2390 W Station St
Kankakee, Illinois 60901
Phone: (815) 802-9344
TDD: (815) 802-9312